Is your creative switch turned on? You ask, where is it? It’s there and all you have to do is get acquainted with it, if you haven’t already.
Here is an idea to get you started. As I contemplated writing this blog, I thought about my clients and would-be-clients. The thrilling part of my job is to see that they use their creative button often. Let’s get personal and talk about you. You have imagination that I would like to see you put to good use. Consider using it to explore a different way to use the wall space in your home. Even if you’ve never done a project that causes change in your home, this is one that you can do. I wouldn’t necessarily expect that you would attempt to do other decorative projects or processes, if you didn’t feel comfortable, but this I believe you can do. I’m suggesting this, because it’s fairly easy and fun. Since I’m always thinking about change, improvement and thinking outside the box, I feel this project will not be too costly, time consuming or labor intensive.
Sometimes my mind’s eye sees something that I know would work in a particular person’s home, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a single family home or apartment dwelling. It’s ALL ABOUT HOME. This is one of those projects. We strive when decorating to pull it together for a WOW factor no matter how big or small the space.
For this blog, I’ve decided to pick up on an idea I wrote about a couple of years ago. The idea, itself, is the same; the difference is the finished product being used. To get to this idea, I’m going to number each item for you. You don’t have to follow the numbers exactly, just the idea to make it your own.
1. Today, I’m interested in making changes to wall space. The walls cannot be forgotten when decorating a room. It sometimes sets the whole room off in a fabulolus direction, other times it ties in with other furnishings, etc. in the room
2. Maybe, you want to leave the furniture as is or change it around a bit. My focus today, is the wall space.
3. Think art for the wall, and what you may want to see on your wall. Is it something with lots of colors, or a particular object infused into the drawing, etc.? It could be many things. After all, art is in the eye of the beholder. It could be a photograph or…… something you hadn’t thought about hanging on your wall. This idea may be used in any room you decide on. It won’t break the bank, and is really easy, not very time consuming at all. Are you ready? Roll up your sleeves, get ready and pick a room to start with.
4. My idea to save you money is the use of fabric. Yes, fabric. Think about all the great looking fabric you’ve seen on furniture, in bedding, etc. It could have been on a wall, and you just didn’t know it. Find a piece of fabric that is beautiful, exhibits life with it colors, joy, happiness, shapes, designs within the fabric, and it gives you a spirit of fun. It could be one color or an assortment of colors, or a design etched into the fabric. This artwork will be a spotlight in your room and something to talk about. Make it eye-popping.
5. What’s your favorite color(s)? What else is in the room, and what about your furniture? Will it all work together? You have to use your imagination. Go through some of your things and see the colors that you tend to gravitate to. Check your furniture and the colors that are in it or around it (ie. rug on floor, etc.) Pick a dominate color and use that to coordinate with other colors in your room or if you already are using muted tones, then you may want to use a pattern that is bright, cheery and makes you feel good. Check out what colors you often pick for clothing, what colors is your wall painted now (if at all) and anything else that will help you make a decision about how this fabric should look. Many people are afraid of using color for fear it will not turn out right. This is why buying a piece of fabric that has colors in it, or subtle colors, will be your personal, created piece of art. Something that you, yourself pulled together and placed on the wall.
6. Color is so complimentary. Select the colors in your room, make a statement and love your decision (and other’s will too). Before you start, pick a room and then a wall where you will place your new creation. Once the decision is made, you will apply tape (i.e. masking tape or painters tape) that is easily removed and won’t leave a residue of glue behind. Be sure to check with the store and read the instructions on the tape, so as not to mess up your walls. The tape is to be used as a guideline on the wall to show how big or small you want the actual frame should be. Sizing will give you a general idea of how the frame should be for the space it will occupy. Important: take into consideration the size of your room and furniture. Once this step is accomplished, step back and get a good impression of whether it will work for that area where you want to place it. No matter what… it will be original. It is your creative skills that has produced this masterpiece with your name on it. No one will have exactly what you have (unless they just love your work and choice of colors). After all, this will be a compliment to you.
Fabric has the best patterns, colors, lines, etc. There is so much to pick from. There is something for everyone. Be creative and have fun. Do not be afraid of using colors. As you purchase your fabric, have it mounted so that it is pulled tight over the frame. You can hang it like that, although a bigger frame may go over the whole thing and provide a definitive and complete look to the project. There, you have original art (you picked the pattern, did all the work, etc.) It’s now your focal point in the room. Enjoy!
I wish you well and would love to hear from you. If you have questions or comments, please let me hear that also. Send photos of the before and after. I’m sure other’s may be encouraged to try their hand at being An Original Artist and turning their creative button on. Be original.